Thursday, August 10, 2006

My Daily Living - Immigration

Consistently hearing the good things plus constant advice from closed friends and relatives, I decided to apply for a job and took my chance here. Luckily enough after two years religiously waiting, I got called on the job. Now I can prove here not only on the amount of my take home pay, but the substantial opportunities this place has to offer, more job opportunities, friendly people, and high quality living conditions. The most important reason compare to other countries that I chose to work here is having the option of becoming an immigrant. To be a landed immigrant, I must continuously live here for three years. I am on my two years now and I am getting my papers ready. Fees are quite expensive though.

Applying for a permanenet resident: In my case, I must complete at least 24 months of employment as a live-in caregiver to apply for permanent res. in Canada. I must have completed the 2 years employment within 3 years of my arrival here. On May 2, 2006 the Government of Canada announced a reduction of 50% in the $975.00 Right of Permanent Residence Fee, but the processing fee is still the same $ 550.00. Medical examination - the immigration gave us the doctors list and address and it's up to you to choose which doctor you want or near in your place, but for me I will choose the cheapest one. Also, there is that required local police clearance and NBI (Phlippine clearance) clearance documents.

Open employment: Once you have recieved a favourable assessment on your application for permanent resident status, you may apply for an open work permit. This will allow you to take any job you wish until you are granted permanent resident status. You will not receive you permanent resident immidiately. Normally, there are many people applying for permanent resident at any given time, and it may take time for the application to be processed. You need to pay $150.00 for an Open Empoyment Visa.

They said at present time, there is a waiting period of 6 to 10 months. This is due to the enormous amount of application that the immigration office is processing. I think this is true. Here in the metropolitan alone, with it's diversified opulation of more than 2 million, 49% are immigrants.

Vancouver Immigration
Local Office1148 Hornby St.
Vancouver, BCV6Z 2C3
604-666-2171

Vancouver Citizenship
Local Office#877-20
Expo BlvdVancouver, BCV6B 8P8
1-888-242-2100

No comments: